Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Falling for Fall

The night is starting to steal our sunlight away. It falls upon us earlier, as we make our way into autumn months filled with crunchy leaves, warm pumpkin pie, and brisk walks through the wind.  While my heart breaks every time my internal clock takes note that it is dark at a mere 8:30pm, I cannot deny my love for the bulky warm garments that are making their way back into my wardrobe, and into my heart.

    Here is my list of the top 10 “awe-inspiring autumn” day pieces, that every woman’s fall wardrobe should include, as we settle into months of warm drinks and rosie cheeks.

        1. A LONG SKIRT
My favorite look this autumn is a long “falling” skirt.  The sleek lines of a nicely tailored, floor-length skirt elongate the body, and make me feel true to my (incredibly chic) inner science geek. 




(Le Fashion, Knight Cat, Altarmia: Models Off Duty, Elle)

The one I picked out is from Zara, and I am really craving to find one in velvet!

       
         2. A LEATHER:
       As you will learn, my mother is my style icon. She is the one who not only brought me into this world (duh), but introduced me to style, elegance, and timeless class. There are many tips she passed on to me that will slowly seep into my posts. One thing I learned early on, was the importance of investing in a single piece: the leather jacket.


(Altamira: Models off Duty, Knight Cat, stockholmstreetstyle)

While good leather is pricey, the days you spend wearing your leather will surely surpass the hundreds you shell out for it. My favorite leathers have been in my closet since I was in high school, and I plan to own them for the next 30 years.

3. GOOD SWEATERS, GOOD LAYERS
A good sweater, and smartly toned layers can do no wrong during the fall season. I am drawn to ones malted with earthy tones of forest green, maroon, brown, jewel purple and beige. 






(Le Fashion, Knight Cat, Top Shop)

The ones I am rocking this fall season are from Aritzia. 


         4. SHOES WITH WEIGHT
         I am seeing more and more note-worthy kicks that are the wow factor of outfits. Whether it be a wedge, a wooden heel or a grungie boot, there is nothing I am enjoying more than making a great shoe, with great weight, the focal point of my outfit.  My favourite shoes in my closet this season are the Solvan clog by Free People shown below, my Frye calf-height boots, and my amazing Joie suede thigh highs from last season.
Solvan Clogs, and many more bootsby Free People: http://www.freepeople.com/shoes-clogs-and-platforms/solvang-clog/




Throw on some tights underneath to make it fall-friendly.
(Altamira: Models Off Duty, Le Fashion)

         5. TIGHTS,  SOCKS, WOOLIES
Throwing on tights under jean shorts or a short dress, adding thick woolies under boots, sandals, or oxfords, and pulling up thigh-high socks, are a comfortable and easy way to add depth, texture, colours and layers to an autumn outfit. Adding bulk this fall is a good way to keep cute and keep warm.



(Altamira: Models Off Duty, The Sartorialist)

Still loving style. 
        
Sincerely,
      Jules

       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Halifax Fashion Blog